Configuring data retention
By default, the data for all data source activities and their attributes are only retained in Ortto for 90 days. This ultimately affects your ability to:
- see these activities in feeds under your customer data platform (CDP) people profiles, data sources etc.,
- filter data based on these activities and attributes, and
- create new reports based on these activities.
The effects of activities such as aggregated fields, daily reports, etc. however, continue on beyond this period.
Nevertheless, this default 90 day limit means that Ortto does not have to retain this data that in many or most cases passes its period of usefulness, which would otherwise impair the performance of filters, journeys, audiences and other areas of Ortto over time.
In some cases, however, it may be necessary to store an activity and its attribute data for longer. Therefore, Ortto provides a mechanism for customers to opt-in to selectively store their activity data for longer.
Extending data retention past 90 days enables you to:
- create a single-purpose filter on the People page of all your stored data (a snapshot of people data against a particular activity or activities)
- create a report (snapshot or dynamic) against all your stored data
- create an audience using activity data older than 90 days in the entry or exit criteria.
Configure while establishing data source connection
While configuring most new data sources in Ortto, you are presented with a step that allows you to choose which activities from that data source to retain beyond the default 90 day period.
Configure when viewing a data source
After configuring a data source, you can still choose which activities to retain beyond the default 90 day period from the data source’s view.
- In the left-hand panel of a data source’s view, under Data retention, click Edit.
- Select the Store activity data for more than 90 days on selected activities radio button then the time and activities you wish to store data for.
- Click Save.
When conducting a re-sync, all people with activity data for the period specified will be imported into Ortto. Therefore, people who were previously deleted from Ortto will be re-imported if there is relevant activity data for them conducted in the data source.